Friday, September 10, 2010

Doughnut Muffins


I LOVE doughnuts. Really love them. I'm one of those weird ones (or so I hear) that likes the doughnut after it's been cooled off. I don't like them fresh from the fryer. Give me a cooled doughnut anytime. And let me be to enjoy the treat.

I have a favorite doughnut shop. In Kansas City it's any LaMars. Oh delish. They have the best german chocolate knot ever! And their glazed yeast, knocks krispy crap out of the water. In Iowa where my husband is from, there's a doughnut shop not terribly far from where my Mother in Law lives, every time we'd come in the morning there would be my pull apart cinnamon nut bread. (it has the doughnut glaze on it, so I'm using it) Their doughnut holes rocked as well! My sister in law was smart enough to get her own bag of those! I've yet to find a doughnut place here in Ohio, so I substituted. Loosely. These were good, however they are not to be mistaken for doughnuts. Just really good, tasty muffins.


Doughnut Muffins Printable Recipe

(I got it from How to Simplify, who in turn got it from King Arthur Flour)
Batter:
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup brown sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste (I used 3/4t)
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 2/3 cups flour
Glaze:
*1c powdered sugar
*1/2t vanilla
*1-2t milk till good dipping consistency
Directions:

1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.

2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.

3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.

4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.

5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.

6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.

7) Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.

8) Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them.

9) After cooled, mix your glaze and dip. Double dip, triple dip if you must. It's one of my favorite parts.

Yield: 12 muffins (on the dot- no left over batter)

3 comments:

Jess @ Sugar High said...

*drooool*

cocoa and coconut said...

They do look fantastic! I love a cool-donut too..none of this hot business :)

Love the glaze

Eliana said...

The only thing more satisfying than a freshly fried and glazed doughnut would be this muffin. It looks super delish!

Post a Comment