Sunday, September 12, 2010

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've heard a lot lately in blog land of Browned Butter. I'll admit curiosity had gotten the best of me and I'm glad it did. Taking the extra step of browning the butter seemed to really give these cookies a delicious caramelly (yes I might have just made that up) undertone. The addition of the TOASTED (I'm a firm believer that toasting nuts is a must) pecans and the gooey chocolate chips...they made for some good cookies! My waistline was relived when my husband took them into work and come back with an empty container.




Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Printable Recipe
(Adapted from Family Friends and Food via Cooks Illustrated)

Ingredients
1 3/4c all-purpose flour
1/2t baking soda
14T unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2c granulated sugar
3/4c packed dark brown sugar
1t salt
2t vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
3/4 cup chopped pecans ,toasted!

Directions
Oven to 375. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Heat 10 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, put in your mixer. Add the remaining butter and keep stirring until the new butter is melted.

Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and mix until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny. (I did do this as stated, gave me time to clean up the mess between whisking) Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts , stir once more to make sure no flour pockets remain.

Drop by cookie scoop full onto a baking sheet.

Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10-14 minutes.

6 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Browned butter is something that I'm now very very curious about. And those chocolate chips in your cookies look truly delightful. Thanks for sharing yet another yummy recipe.

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) said...

Thank you Brittany! I think that these cookies are a huge jumping board to more awesome brown butterness! I'm thinking blondies would be fantastic if you brown the butter first!

Eliana said...

Perfect looking cookies! Between the browned butter and toasted nuts, you really can't go wrong.

tease-spoon of sugar said...

OMG! My mouth is watering looking at those pictures. I'll definitely have to try these.

cookies and cups said...

Yes please to browned butter anything!...especially cookies :)

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I have seen lots of recipes calling for browned butter. I have never tried a recipe with brown butter before, but after seeing these delicious cookies I think I might! That photo with the melting chocolate it making my mouth water!! Yummy!!!

Post a Comment