Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baked Doughnuts


Apparently I'm on a doughnut kick. See my doughnut muffin post for the many reason's why doughnuts rule. These are MORE along the lines of what I was looking for in a doughnut. They are not however THE doughnut. I'm sure I'm not going to be able to grasp THE doughnut without breaking out the pan and oil to fry. I have made delish yeast fried doughnuts and now that I'm thinking of them...I might have to embark on that journey again soon. It's a crazy mess, utterly fantastic, and so worth it. That being said after last Sunday's obsession I had with eating so much my stomach hurt, I should rethink yeast doughnuts until I can drop off the 4lbs I put on.

Baked Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze
Printable
Adapted from King Arthur Flour and Alton Brown

Baked Doughnuts:
* 3/4 cup AP flour
* 1/4 cup cake flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 2 tablespoons buttermilk
* 2 large eggs
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
Gotta love the simplicity. Super easy.
Oven to 375.
Mix dry ingredients together.
Wisk the wet ingredients together until foamy.
Dump wet into dry and mix just until combined.
Spray a 6 spot doughnut plan or a 12 mini spot doughnut pan liberally with cooking spray. Fill the forms 1/2 way full.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes until tops are dark golden brown and springs back when lightly touched.
Remove from oven and then the pan and let cool on rack until ready to glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
* 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water and dip the doughnuts immediately. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

These are adorable!! They look shop bought

Eliana said...

Well they certainly look pretty - especially with those colorful dots :) I'm scared of yeast anything but it seems like the way to go for doughnuts.

Post a Comment