Friday, September 24, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting



I have had one of those weeks. I've spent a decent amount of time in the kitchen only to have my brain spend said amount of time OUT of the kitchen. I have no clue what my deal is. I was talking with some of the soccer mom's over practice, and we've decided that once you have a kid you start to lose some of 'it'. Then when you have another child, you lose the majority of 'it'. It being whatever you covet most. In my case my body had gone south and my brain followed suit (just at a slower process). I'm working on getting said body back, but my brain doesn't seem to be following suit as well.

On to baking.

I recently joined up with Taste And Create, lets face it, anything to get out there a bit more is great. The deal with Taste and Create is pretty simple. You sign up by a set date, then you're paired up with another blog. You create something from the new blog and well, blog about it. I was paired up with: Not So Unique Ideas. From her blog I was inspired by the Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting. I didn't use her cupcake recipe as I had one that my girlfriend gave me MONTHS ago and I've been meaning to get on it, but before I goofed on the frosting, it was divine. Nothing like peanut butter!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Printable
Adapted from: adashofsass.com via Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Sky High Cakes
For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups strong coffee
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two regular-sized muffin trays or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sour cream and oil. Stir until combined.
- Slowly add the coffee and stir to combine. Blend in the vanilla and vinegar.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix until completely combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins. Fill each tin about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting
(via Not So Unique Ideas originated from Barefoot Contessa)

* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup creamy peanut butter
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

4 comments:

briarrose said...

Beautiful cupcakes.

cocoa and coconut said...

That frosting looks like heavenly clouds!

Jane said...

Don't worry! Eventually, your brain actually returns! It's true, so take heart. As a mom of two now-teenage boys, I can attest to this. :)

These, by the way, look like sensational cupcakes. And I love your blog!

Eliana said...

It doesn't get better than chocolate and PB. These beauties look perfect!

Post a Comment