Friday, May 7, 2010

Playground Granola Bars


So my Mom was on granola bar kick and kept talking about how awesome hers turned out- and how all of the people at her husband's job loved them--yada, yada. So then I had to one up her. It's the competitiveness in me - no one fret - I get it from my Mom. These are super good, and SUPER easy! I didn't have wheat germ in the house (we're not usually that fancy) but a quick trip to the grocery store and we were back in business. I used cranberries and slivered almonds. I know my Mom has used raisins, I think you can toss just about anything in there! We'll know how well these fared when my husband decides to share what I sent him. My kids loved them though!

Playground Granola Bars
(adapted from All Recipes

* 2 cups rolled oats
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup cranberries
* 1/2 cupish slivered almonds
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment or foil.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, extras (fruit, nuts, choco chips) and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. (or on low in the mixer until combined) Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

3. Bake for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

These make a good chewy bar that really had a good amount of flavor. LOTS of ways to customize!

No comments:

Post a Comment