Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nutella Sandwich Cookies



These are- well- not bad. I just didn't love them though. :( Which is sad- because I'd been holding out on opening up the jar in my cabinet for WEEKS. Knowing, once I did, that'd be it. And of course it was- and now the jar is gone.

I make it sound like there's not anymore at the grocery store.

On to the cookie- these fell flat for me. LITERALLY. I have no idea why. I found by the 3rd batch- you had to take them out of the oven underdone and let them finish off on the cookie sheet- or else you got super crispy, thin cookies. Which for some of you- that might rock. I'm soft cookie fan, thick and chewy. On a rare occasion- a crisp one will do it for me ... i.e gingersnaps. But for these I envisioned something more along the lines of where I got the recipe from.

I'll be on the hunt for the super jars of Nutella at Costco/Sams Club next time I'm out. I'll find something most awesome.

Nutella Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from : Living Eventfully

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon kosher salt (if you only have regular salt add under a teaspoon)
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (plus extra for rolling)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In your stand mixer bow place the chocolate hazelnut spread (nutella), butter, and both sugars. On medium low speed cream together mixer for about about 3 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla and blend until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.

4. Carefully shape the cookie dough into 1 inch, about 1 teaspoon sized round balls. *If it's too soft- you can refrigerate, I was just a gentle roller. Rolls the cookie balls in sugar and place the cookies on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.

5. Place in oven and bake for 6 minutes. * I pulled mine out @ 5ish. They looked underdone- and might have been. You'll have to play around with yours

6.Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookies sheet for about 5 minutes.

7.Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

8. Once cool spread a thin (or thick if you don't have to ship them anywhere) of Nutella and enjoy. OR you could whip up a chocolate ganache and use that as well.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Hi Rebecca, guess what, I'm finally making the chocolate caramel cookies today! Hopefully it won't take me forever to blog about it, haha.

Anyway, I love how your cookies spread out so thinly all the time, do you flatten them before you bake?

You seem to be always baking whatever is on my mind. I've been trying to find a nutella recipe for brownies. Maybe I'll try the cookie version first... or not. I never want to share nutella!

Esi said...

These look so good! I just got three jars of Nutella and I think I am going to use some of it to make these cookies.

Anonymous said...

I love Nutella. These sound fantastic!

M. said...

yum! really decadent cookies....plus... nutella makes everything great :)

Unknown said...

They do look flat but i think that works in a filled cookie. They honestly look absolutely delicious and I am so gonna make these! Thanx!

Post a Comment