Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Key Lime Cupcakes with Cheesecake Icing


These have history. My Dad, a most awesome cook, just never did sweets. However, there has always been a little sweet spot reserved for cheesecake (and I mean good cheesecake) and key lime pie. Then my Dad had an aneurysm rupture, and that sweet spot- turned into a huge crater sized craving. That thing managed to change my Dad's palate! While he doesn't cook much anymore- he does enjoy the sweets! And since I love to bake- I love trying out new stuff on him. Last year for a holiday- for the life of me I don't recall if it was his birthday or Father's Day- we had cheesecake cupcakes with keylime icing. Well, when I was remembering what we had (my most awesome step-mom requested them again for this year) I had it backwards. Key lime cupcakes with cheesecake icing. Either way, a combination of my Dad's two favorites. While these were very good- I think I'll have to go back to a cheesecake cupcake with key lime icing.

Key Lime Cupcakes
1 box of white cake mix(I love Duncan Hines)
1c flour
1c sugar
1c KEY LIME JUICE ( you can squeeze yourself or get the bottle)
1c sour cream
3 eggs

Combine and mix on med for 2 minutes until smooth. Not kidding- it's that easy.
Put into cupcake liners (use an ice cream scoop to get even cupcakes).
Bake a 350 for 20-25minutes until a light touch springs back.

Cheesecake Icing
1 stick salted butter
1 8oz package cream cheese
1lb (give or take on consistency you like) of powdered sugar
1 cap-full of LorAnn Cheesecake Oil
Milk or Heavy Cream to thin as needed

Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth- add in powdered sugar slowly until combined. Pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with lime peel if you're feeling a smidge fancy.

Happy Father's Day Dad!!

5 comments:

Eliana said...

Your dad is my kind of man as I'm a sucker for good cheesecake. This cupcake looks like a winning flavor combination. YUM!!!

cookies and cups said...

These cupcakes sound awesome! I don't think I have ever seen cheesecake oil, though...is that flavoring? I will have to keep my eyes open for that! Key Lime and cheesecake get me every time too! Great post :)

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) said...

the cheesecake oil is a lorann oil that's a cheesecake flavor. A local cake/candy store should carry them. You'll be amazed how many different flavors there are!

Anonymous said...

You guys have GOT to try this recipe. I made these, and they are to die for! The cupcake texture is absolutely perfect. I ordered the cheesecake oil from Lorann. Do yourself a favor and do the same, your cream cheese icing will become the stuff of legends! Thank you so much for posting what will definately become a staple in my baking repetoire!

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) said...

I'm so glad you liked them! They're highly requested here!!

Post a Comment