Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ABC: Caramel Chocolate Pie= Epic Fail

I have these more often than not lately. I don't mind blogging about them- but lately I've had so many epic failures that I haven't even photographed them. I'm blaming the pregnancy. Seriously. I for some reason can't manage to get it together. I'm in my 2nd trimester now, so I'm not as grumpy when I get up and it's still dark out. (I know MANY people do this, I however, think it's rather unnatural) That being said- I must still be in the brain drain that comes along with it all. It's not necessarily that I'm doing a whole lot wrong- it's just a bit of- I dunno, maybe I just can't multitask like I feel I should. I mean, if I can't get the caramel for this pie going AND get the crust rolled into the pan, maybe I shouldn't be doing it at all.

I mean to get the sugar to start to pool on low took, I swear 15 minutes, so I was all - oh I'll roll out my crust and get it in the pan- as I'm crimping the sides of my store bought crust (pretend you didn't just read the 'store bought' part) I smell something- bam! Sugar is already shot to crap. I added the butter and the heavy cream and pulled out the large turd lump of sugar. My husband put the little bit of remaining caramel on his ice cream that night. (I mean we didn't have a pie, so we needed SOMETHING). I went ahead and baked the crust- only to for some odd reason burn it. (because at this time I was just going to use store bought caramel for the pie). When the crust came out over done- I shed a little tear of frustration. Then ate my ice cream.

Today I have banana bread in the oven. I PLAN to make rolls for dinner as well. We'll see.

To my fellow ABC bakers, I can't wait to see the awesomeness your produced! I'll have to try this again in 6 months!

7 comments:

HanaĆ¢ said...

Awwww. That's too bad. You're a great baker so don't get discouraged. At least you had a plan B and there's nothing wrong with ice cream. I actually had to throw away the first batch of caramel (it seized on me). So the second time around, I added a couple Tbsp of water to my sugar and had no issues.
I hope your banana bread and dinner rolls turn out nice :o)

Eliana said...

Oh babe don't sweat it. Blame it on the weather.

Virginia Taylors said...

You aren't alone in baking failing days. I tell myself, "Today I just shouldn't have been in the kitchen!" Hang in there! And do try this one again in 6 months cuz boy is it yummy.
http://love2cooksweets.blogspot.com/2011/02/ode-to-pie-abc-chocolate-caramel-cream.html

Desserts Divine said...

Aw, don't sound so defeated. I too found it was taking too long for the sugar to melt. So I raised the heat a bit. However, I've burnt sugar many times and now know I can't leave the pot even for a moment. Do these projects in steps over a couple of days and it won't be so overwhelming. Now smile!

Deborah said...

Totally blame it on the pregnancy. I am. I know I'm definitely not on top of my game lately!!

Anonymous said...

Hormones. That is what is to blame here!
We all have fails in the kitchen, most of us just don't document them, so thanks!

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys!! I know things will turn for the better! I'm still gathering up a ridiculous amount of recipes that make my mouth water (which is a TON lately!) I'll have to get back to backing ASAP, and hopefully with less failures!!

Post a Comment