Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Sugar Cookies


So these cookies had help. My Mom loves Halloween as much (if not -gasp- more) than I do! I told her about maybe some sort of drawing on the cookies (I was then thinking of royal icing) wishing I had better drawing skills than some rocking stick figures. (ha) Luckily I came across this book. (amazing when you google how to draw Halloween) It's pretty much the 'how to' draw for dummies. I need that. Then I remembered Bakerella and Americolor's Gourmet Food Writer Pens! HELLO! The next day my Mom sent me a "Happy Halloween" package. I'm 26 and my Mom still spoils me.

These cookies have the cakey, creamy texture that almost melts in your mouth. Pair it with your favorite cookie icing (I've grown farther away from Royal icing the more cookie icing I make) and you've got a great cookie that tastes like it was way more effort.

No Fail Sugar Cookies
printable
via a blog post on Wilton Forums

These do no ‘poof’ up much at all. This recipe is great to use for very detailed cookies. They can also be frozen (well wrapped) for up to 2 months. Unfrozen and packaged they will keep up to 3 weeks.

Ingredients:
2 sticks of SALTED butter (the better the brand the better the cookie here)
1 lg egg
1c sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 3/4c- 3 cups flour

Directions:
Oven to 400. NOT A TYPO. 400.
Cream the butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add in flour mixing until the dough forms. The dough should NOT be crumbly. And there’s no need to chill it.

Flour your countertop and flour your roller. Work with 1/3 of the dough at a time so you don’t over flour any dough.

These are best nice and thick a decent 1/4”.

Place on parchment lined cookie sheets (better if without edges so that they all cook evenly)

Bake for 7-8 minutes. These give ‘just barely’ done cookies. That’s how I like em. If you want a crunchy sugar cookie- this isn’t for you.

Cool on cookie rack. Decorate with your favorite icing.

*if you’re feeling a bit on the wild side- swipe out vanilla for almond, or orange, or lemon. I’ve done it all and it’s a nice change!

Have a SAFE and HAPPY Halloween!

Kathy of polwig.com had a genius idea before me! If I had seen those before I did mine, I probably would have done some cool aged look to the cookies- adorable! Be sure to check those out too!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

GREAT job!!! Those food writing pens I find a wee tricky but you rocked it!

Anonymous said...

Those are some pretty good drawings! u are really good at this!

Peggy said...

I'm going to have to look out for those food writing pens! These cookies look awesome!

Eliana said...

Awwww - how adorable are these cookies!!!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I just found your blog via another food blog and I'm so happy that I did. Long live foodie-mommy bloggers!

ps. sugar cookies are the best. Don't you just love them? I love them. They're so addicting. Mine never looks as good as yours. Tell your boys hi.

El said...

You have such a nice mom. The cookies look great!

Post a Comment